Monday, May 23, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast - Ally’s Trans-Atlantic Woody Allen Horror Tour

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 69: Ally’s Trans-Atlantic Woody Allen Horror Tour (What's Scarrier: Woody, Lame Horror, or Cheap Horror?).

Eva is not impressed by cosplay


Ally’s Trans-Atlantic Woody Allen Horror Tour

May 24, 2022
No guest this week, so Cool Movies Darth returns to the cheap DVD bin that Ally of Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy provided him. This portion of the A to Zed journey takes us on a scary tour. Scary to some with the Steve Martin's Woody Allen inspired "L.A. Story" and Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris". Scary to the rest for featuring Lucio Fulci's "The New York Ripper". "Out of the Dark" represents Colombia and "It's My Party and I'll Die If I Want To" stands up for Pittsburgh.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

With ThePoeticCritic giving me two hours of content last week and a super podcast planned this week, I did not put a lot of pressure on myself to find a guest. Because most of the episodes seem to be devoted to singular features, it is tougher to incorporate the Trash Feature Revue into those additions. It is kind of nice to have a week where I have to force myself to dive into the $3.33 movies the podcast is kind of based on.

Take note that many of these movies are inexpensive as opposed to being trashy. When I told Ally that I was looking for trashy movies, she stuck to the initial parameters of the podcast, features between 74 to 99 minutes. Like most people, she does not go looking for movies that seem bad or obscure. This means I occasionally get some gold like "L.A. Story" and "Midnight in Paris".

And there have been some instances where Ally gets me a movie I have already embraced. "In & Out" went straight (ironic) to the collection shelves instead of sitting atop my rarely used Victrola. How can you relax when you got to flip the record over? It is sad I cannot get any pseudo intellectuals to listen to my rare Naked Raygun.

Pinterest @mikeleen
Pinterest @mikeleen

When it comes to diamonds in the rough, the letter "N" feature in the Trash Feature Revue was supposed to be "The Night Listener". It got two thumbs up from "Ebert and Roeper", but the thumb that sat in for Roger was Jay Leno's. ThePoeticCritic assured me of the film's reputation, but it was tough enough for me to finally accept a Sarah Jessica Parker movie must be watched.

Instead, I chose to try to keep a theme for this episode. With two movies representing cities, it only made sense for a third. Thus, my raffle prize from B-Fest came to good use.

"The New York Ripper" was an appalling movie when I saw it 12 years ago, but it actually displays the talent of Lucio Fulci. His "Gates of Hell" trilogy is legendary, but this giallo film showed me that he can work in less than fantastical worlds. And of course, who does not want to revisit early 80's Time Square. Fuck Rudy Giuliani.


The substitution guaranteed me that this Trash Feature Revue was going to be 80% fun. I am not a paranormal movie fan, so a movie about Columbian ghost children was not going to entice me. "Out of the Dark" does have Stephen Rea, and that is usually a sign of some potential. Too bad the lack of renown for latter Scott Speedman and Julia Stiles movies is ever present.

Now, Julia has said some things to dismiss our attention, but what did Scott do? Did he ask for too much money for "Underworld" 4 and 5? If Cube got a cameo in "The Return of Xander Cage", why not Speedman?


After "Out of the Dark", we again step away from the Trash Feature Revue. My most recent Netflix DVD was "It's My Party & and I'll Die If I Want To". This was a feature, perhaps the feature, that finally inspired me to move from my autobiographical wrestling screenplays into making a B/No-Budget movie. Who needs story when you can offer gore?

This feature is not high art by any stretch of the imagination, but it knows what we expect from a horror movie and delivers the content. Too bad this shot of video feature is not well lit. Still, it has a self aware sense of humor, and it feels like it should earn your attention with a protagonist who is an Elvira dressed martial arts expert. A Tom Savini cameo is always fun on top of that.


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...