Wednesday, April 12, 2023

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast with @CatBusRuss: Gold Diggers of 1933 & Nintendo 2023 with ThePoeticCritic (PG-13)

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast...with @CatBusRuss

Episode 115: Gold Diggers of 1933 & Nintendo 2023 with ThePoeticCritic (PG-13)

Eva's attitude when she found me at the shelter.

Gold Diggers of 1933 & Nintendo 2023 with ThePoeticCritic (PG-13)

Finding a guest for NinetyForChill was going to be especially tough during Easter week. Fortunately, holidays mean family get togethers. Thus, CatBusRuss was able to tempt his sister, ThePoeticCritic, to give him a couple of hours to chat about pre-code musical cinema (primarily "Gold Diggers of 1933") when he returned to Morton to celebrate the savior (be it the Christ or the patriarch of their family). Of course, most conversations with the wisest cinephile of Central Illinois bring up what is happening at the movie theaters and #FilmTwitter. This week, do the Brothers Mario deserve to rule the box office?

ThePoeticCritic was curious about her little brother's opinion on whether "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" should have focused on the adult fans of the franchise, parents dragged to the cinema by their wee ones, or just the kiddos. CatBus's biggest concern about Hollywood is the alleged comic book movie downfall and what should fill that void. Should it be maximalist extravaganzas like Baz Luhrman's "Elvis" and Christopher Nolan's "Tenet" or just great stories like Luhrman's "Strictly Ballroom" and Nolan's "Memento"? For those fond of Busby Berkeley's glorified music videos (and I suppose "Flash Dance"), our host may not please you with his thoughts about "Gold Diggers of 1933".

Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CatBusRuss) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective.

We are back to the long days. With no conventions to give my health a window, it was not until a day after I posted this episode that I got to work on this blog. I cannot wait till I get to the proofreading stage of this. After screwing up the blog title on Spotify and Podbean (What would be the "Gold Diggers of 1993"?), thus pissing off the big sister, extra care should be taken. But there is only an hour between now and needing to prep my Buffalo wings to properly enjoy AEW Dynamite.

If you visit my Twitter account (@CatBusRuss) or my Mastodon feed (@russstevens@mastodon.social), you can witness me further antagonizing my only elder sibling by suggesting that "Flash Dance" is the closest thing that the 1980s had to a "Gold Diggers" movie. This was a feature that has two other films with the title and theme that followed it. "Gold Diggers of 1933" is also the third adaptation of the original stage play.

I am still determined to keep up the podcast, but the past week was tough. Unless guests want to stay up late, Sundays are the only day that I am certain can be made for podcasting. With that said, if you have a movie or topic that you want to chat about, send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.

This is a pretty contentious podcast between my sister and I. We get pretty intense about the validity of story telling in this feature, but before that, the two of us decide to address the Twitter debate over how children films should be made. Some of my statements about Studio Ghibli's template were found insulting by the wisest mind for CI Cinema (That's what they get for the YouTube flag on Ally Presents a Semi-Mega Pod).


My stance about why I do not thing we should be pissy about "The Super Mario Bros. Movie's" success is that parents should already be embracing it. This is one of the first franchises that Generation X/Millennials grew up with as kids. We loved the franchise as children, so we should have no issue enjoying this kids movie. It is a return to a time that we came from.

This is not like dragging my parents to see "Super Mario Bros. (1993)". Dad was a "Space Invaders" guy. What does he know about Mario and Luigi? We know Mario. If it amuses me in a way that is exactly like "Super Mario World" did, I will leave happy.


As for the feature that got me this recording session with ThePoeticCritic, I had fun watching it, but I have plenty of knits to pick. My sister stands for the musical performances (which look great), but by no means do I feel like they fit into the feature. One can claim that it is better to suspend your logic instead of expecting a performance on a theater stage to look like a theater stage. All I can say is, watch "Lo" or Kevin Smith's "Jersey Girl" to see that is not the case.

I will stand for Kevin Smith's performance of "God That's Good" is better than anything offered in Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd". One guy takes the time to actually research source material and it is not the guy who gave us "Planet of the Apes". Again, Smith did it better in "Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back".

I guess I maybe overstating how hectic my life is since I was able to muster the energy to watch two movies this week. Of course, one of them was for "Ally's Accessory Shop on Etsy's Trash Feature Revue". "Every Day" is definitely not the type of movie that I go out of my way to see. A movie about marriage and family, how do I relate to that? But, the cast has a handful of character actors I love to watch like Liev Schreiber, Carla Gugino, and Suzie Eddie Izzard, so there was hope...was.


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...