Tuesday, December 27, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast: David Cronenberg vs. the Top Discoveries of 2022

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 100: David Cronenberg vs. the Top Discoveries of 2022.

Eva partying too much while I was visiting the folks

David Cronenberg vs. the 2022’s Top Sub-100 Minute Discoveries

December 27, 2022

It is the end of the year, and ThePoeticCritic gives us some input on what some of the best movies Cool Movies Darth (b.k.a. Cat Bus Russ) found in 2022. Russ counts down his top 10 favorite finds from this year. To be thorough, this years collection of Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy's Trash Feature Reviews is concluded with "2020 Texas Gladiators". And how can 2022's top 10 list be complete without a David Cronenberg movie? "Crash" and "Crimes of the Future" are last minute watches durings Russ's six-day stint of holiday retail shifts.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective.

I hope you do pardon all the details of my exhaustion. The end of the year does not seem like it will be an overly exciting one. My energy levels just will not be there. There is another trip to the Heart of Illinois which I cannot avoid. Thursday in Champaign/Urbana should be big, but again, I am exhausted to the point of illness. Will I have the energy to try and get up to an AAW show at Chicago's Logan Square Auditorium?

And there are hundreds of Pokémon that I need to catch. Where is the time? This is supposed to be my vacation.

There is no rest for the wicked I suppose. I have yet to do a first week of the year episode of the podcast. In 2021, it was because I was still putting the pieces together to start it. 2022's excuse was the Disney World trip. It is just a bad time for me due to all of the exhaustion and my hopes of getting the most out of my time off. If there is ever a time for someone to have a movie that must be talked about, now would be the time. Send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.

Pardon the interruption to this episode's narrative. That is my shortcut to not removing the below portion of this cut and paste job.

I have determined that I just need to find a cohost for two weeks of the month. There will be invitations sent out to people I have had on the show that I think fit my attitudes. If you want to apply, send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. We could do both recordings in one night. The only issue with that is that I will be more shitfaced than usual.


The Best Movie Discoveries of 2022 (V to Z [And all the movies with titles that start with "The"])

This podcast just covers the top 10 discoveries and some last minute viewings. Thus, I think I need to tell you how we got to the final flicks on the podcast in this blog post.
  • Wild Target
  • XX/XY
  • Young Adam
  • Zero Tolerance
  • Rare Exports
  • Ready or Not
  • The Aristocats
  • The Cable Guy
  • The Crazies
  • The Favor
  • The Invisible Man
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
  • The Menu
  • The New York Ripper
  • The Number 23
  • The Reaping
  • The Sadness
  • The Victim
Wild Target (2010)

This is the most silly fun that I had watched this year. It is British humor and great character actors being cheeky. That might be all I need to be amused.

Young Adam (2003)

Great Scottish actors delivering strong performances and showing there packages will definitely capture anyone's curiosity. The narrative is strong despite it wraps itself up with little flare. It is about Ewan McGregor's character who is a bad person who has to consider the consequences of his actions.

Rare Exports (2010)

I know this title does not fit the parameters, but I recorded the podcast with 7Ceez from "The No On 15! All Cast" after I went through the "O through U" movies. It is a beautifully filmed children's movie disguised as a horror movie. The anticipation for a monster Santa keeps you invested, and the story of growing up is the reward.

Ready or Not (2019)

This was a movie I ended up failing to copy and paste in my last breakdown. If you want a movie where Samara Weaving shines and is the center of attention, you will not be disappointed. The class warfare undertones make this all the more fun and allows this film a great sense of humor.

The Cable Guy (1996)

This should have been Jim Carrey's most important role of the decade. If people could have accepted the dark humor, the range shown in this film may have finally forced critics to accept him as an Oscar-caliber performer.

The Invisible Man (1933)

I still have a few more James Whale movies to catch up on, but for pre-Hayes Code horror, this maybe the most important. Claude Rains's performance is timeless, but the character's motivations show that humans are greater threats than any monster.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)

This feature is mentally haunting with every scene. Jodie Foster acting like an adult while being a child is brilliant. Martin Sheen's creepiness needs to be seen. The idea that we can skip childhood is just disturbing.

The Menu (2022)

It was a tough watch, but that is because the cinema experience is not being maintained. A power surge ended up making this a longer experience than I had hoped. If something like that happened while I was trying to stream it, I could have made this a better experience.

As with "Rare Exports", it is all about anticipation. But unlike the Finnish kids' movie, the actors create characters you are dying to find out their fate. You are not cheering for them. You want to see their just desserts...literally.

The Sadness (2021)

I really wish I could expose more people to this movie. This is "Gremlins" if they did not reproduce asexually. It is funny in a twisted way and the goriest movie I have seen since I watched "Cannibal Holocaust" when I was still living in Peoria. Does it make the final top 10?

Fritz the Cat (1972)

This is a movie that I failed to realize that I did not carry over into my final list for this podcast. It is a movie that I think needs to be seen, but needs to also be taken with a grain of salt. Fritz is what white, woke millennials represent. He wants to be a great mind aware of all injustices, but as a white character at heart, he does not understand that he cannot actually understand the experience.

And these movies have a chance to make the top 10. If you want to just to the final list, skip to the 30-minute mark on the podcast.

Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...