Tuesday, December 13, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast: Ally Presents: The ”XX/XY”, ”Young Adam” Holiday Sandwich

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 98: Ally Presents: The ”XX/XY”, ”Young Adam” Holiday Sandwich.

Eva expresses her feelings about the season.

Ally Presents: The ”XX/XY”, ”Young Adam” Holiday Sandwich

December 13, 2022

ThePoeticCritic is the greatest of sports. Aside from being Central Illinois's premier critical mind in terms of motion pictures, she tries to help Cool Movies Darth in obtaining the Christmas spirit via cinema. Did she expect to have this conversation shoved between two films about men thinking with their organs instead of their hearts when it comes to relationship? CM Darth doubts that, but to not show the importance of the Mark Ruffalo lead "XX/XY" and Ewan McGregor's "Young Adam" would be denying those with chauvinistic attitudes their lumps from Santa.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective.

This episode should not have been this difficult to produce. I had a great guest lined up, but I misread their affirmation. They were busy Saturday afternoon, but said they were available after 5 pm on Saturday. What threw me off was using the day's name twice in a sentence. Because their busy day was stated once, it led me to think that their intention to record would be the next day.

Do not worry for them. They seemed to love the subject matter, so it should not have been 90 minutes lost.

It is even more humiliating than when I screwed up how time zones work. There were only five-months of my near 20-year customer service career where my living was made outside of that (After those five months, I started in hospitality on the weekends.). I was given a job as a third-party copywriter for Walmart.com based on my ability to proofread. Spellcheck was expected to handle the rest. My screw up this week makes me ponder how badly my Friday hangovers affected the website. They thought I was responsible enough to publish copy without further checks.

Thus, I think this podcast would benefit from having a co-host to make sure that my priorities are straight. Someone needs to tell me to let my nephew know that those with December birthdays have to acknowledge that celebrating them seems pointless. Would I even have the energy to get drunk after my quest over three counties to get him a Blu-ray copy of "The Princess Bride"?

With that said, I have determined that I just need to find a cohost for two weeks of the month. There will be invitations sent out to people I have had on the show that I think fit my attitudes. If you want to apply, send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. We could do both recordings in one night. The only issue with that is that I will be more shitfaced than usual.


With the year coming to a close, this month is going to be more about awkwardness than the holidays. That statement makes me feel like I best reissue "Ally and The Nightmare Before Christmas" episode to make this month feel like the holidays. It would also be appropriate since I need to wrap up the 2022 line up of Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy's Trash Feature Revue.

Any how, this is why the conversation with ThePoeticCritic was bookended by two sexed up existential films. Ally had found "Young Adam" last year as my only other option for the letter Y at Champaign's Disc Replay ("You're Next" was the other.). X is a nearly impossible letter to find movies under that do not feature a cameo from Hugh Jackman at the very least. I guess there is some Marvel synergy finding an Incredible Hulk starring movie to represent the second to last letter of the alphabet.

This also allows me a transition to describe the my conversation with my big sister. So few people remember that "Iron Man 3" is set at Christmas. We all acknowledge that is one of the most forgettable films in the MCU, so did you recall that? You should have since Shane Black uses the birth of Christ as a crutch to his action screenplays.

Fortunately, ThePoeticCritic knows and expresses her favorite Shane Black features, like "The Long Kiss Goodnight" and "The Last Boy Scout". I should have asked if that was "The Predator's" primary flaw, but I doubt she would give weaponized autism a chance. She may consider that concept from that sequel to be as bad as placing that film at Halloween.

It would be difficult to get her off the topic anyhow. She fondly looks back on features that use Christmas as a set piece. We laugh about using our uncle's illegal cable box to watch a loop of "Ghostbusters II" and "Ernest Saves Christmas". Every cool podcast talks about stealing cable. Why should "NinetyForChill" be denied that honor?


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...