Tuesday, August 30, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast - "Big Trouble in Little China": CouchMan Lo Pan vs. Jorge Shen

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 83: Big Trouble in Little China: CouchMan Lo Pan vs. Jorge Shen (We shake the pillars of Heaven.).

Eva is pissed off to no end

Big Trouble in Little China: CouchMan Lo Pan vs. Jorge Shen

August 30, 2022

"Big Trouble in Little China" is a film of such greatness that Cool Movies Darth brings in two Internet powerhouses to chat about it. Friend of the podcast Andrew Tiede from Baking While Baked returns to represent the Midwest and Jorge from the "Not a Strong Start" podcast represents the West Coast. It is CM Darth's attempt to take the best of two cultures to properly honor The Horror Master John Carpenter and the wild aura of the eighties.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

This was definitely one of the most fun podcasts that I have recorded. I suppose the trick to make me think that you are serious about being on the podcast is to respond to my pleas on Twitter with a fun GIF. How can I not follow up on one's sincerity when they reply to the suggestion of "Big Trouble in Little China" as a topic with the following:


The only other person who seemed invested in the thread was Andrew Tiede. I have been wanting to get him back on the show since we had our "Bust'n Meatballs at the Caddyshack (The secret "Ghostbusters" episode)" podcast. So after I narrowed out the time with Jorge Marrero to record, the invitation was sent off to @CouchManBakes. No promises were made.

Two time zones to negotiate with, my work schedule constantly being changed, and the monthly goth night at the Rose Bowl hangover were not enough to stop our ode to "Big Trouble in Little China". We had the podcaster/wrestler who claims to have cockblocked Billy Corgan, the comedian who has dedicated his TikTok to culinary criticism while stoned, and the West Coast filmmaker come together to demonstrate Egg Shen's philosophy about China.

Of course the Chinese mix everything up. Look at what they have to work with. There's Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoist alchemy and sorcery. We take what we want and leave the rest. Just like your salad bar.


We definitely go on tangents, but this is the most Eighties movie ever. How can that be avoided? It was not that difficult to avoid getting away from the feature. As long as I had the film on mute in my peripheral, time management was pretty easy. Also, it was only 5:30 pm CDT when we started. How drunk can I possibly get in the 45 minutes I had between leaving work and starting the show? I'm out of Malort.


@the_couch_man Snacking While Baked. #PostitAffirmations #WeStickTogether #foryoupage #fyp #funnyvideos #snack ♬ original sound - Andrew Tiede

There was only one word that had to be censored when I edited the podcast (I think Jorge may have slipped one in, but three people talking.), so I did take some notes about some of the tangents we went on. After the prior movie that got its own podcast was "John Carpenter's They Live", we obviously talked about wrestlers in movies and the concept of a remake of this feature. The suggestion of the remake got us chatting about the idea of a legacy sequel.

And of course, we just had to talk about the eighties. Grace Jones was a cinema icon with "A View to a Kill" and "Conan: The Destroyer". Andrew had brought up the idea that Grace may have never actually acted. I think this needs to be explored further. "Conan 2" does qualify for the podcast. Any volunteers?

Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...