Monday, May 15, 2023

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast with @CatBusRuss: Ani-May Cinematic 6-Pack with Witches & Lance Henriksen

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast...with @CatBusRuss

Episode 120: Ani-May Cinematic 6-Pack with Witches & Lance Henriksen

Please pardon the grammar error with Witch's

Ani-May Cinematic 6-Pack with Witches & Lance Henriksen

Help NinetyForChill: The #Podcast get away from paywalls by subscribing to "Ninety For Chill: The #Podcast with @CatBusRuss"

CatBusRuss is pondering how often he should be releasing new episodes of "Ninety For the Chill". This current season has had a great balance of episodes dedicated to his own personal binges and conversations with great guests. But with so many podcasts having a monthly or biweekly release schedule, is the CatBus working too hard?

The episode for next week is in the can, so this week, our host is keeping up the ani-May theme by watching Studio Ghibli's spiritual successor's, Studio Ponoc, first feature, "Mary and the Witch's Flower". It is a fun kids film. Then CatBus pulls out some reviews that sum up his own maturity. It starts with coming of age in the punk rock world with "London Town" and moves on to the oversexed college experience with Gregg Araki's "Kaboom".

London Town DVD on Amazon
From sexually explicit cinema, CatBus makes a quick transition to the other extreme of indie cinema with the Soska Sisters' remake of David Cronenberg's "Rabid". Cronenberg was one of the two patron saints of this podcast. The other is Stuart Gordon. What sounds better than Gordon with Lance Henriksen? To find out what that is like, you will hear a review for "The Pit and the Pendulum". If that is not enough of a Henriksen fix, stick around for a review of Stan Winston's directorial debut, "Pumpkinhead".

Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CatBusRuss) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective.

Pinterest @sthevand
Pinterest @sthevand

Am I going to regret writing this blog tonight? I say that because I do not have a morning shift to attend on Wednesday. Should I muster up or try to save the strength to party on Tuesday night?

Why go out? Because I think history is repeating itself. I have my trivia team, but the team captains are expecting their first kid. That is what I think the first sign of being complete grown ups is. The coworker who introduced me to the team is starting a new job at some point, so who knows where that will take him? It was graduation weekend last week, so there are a handful of new friends who will be moving on. How do I start over again?

HellBentForHorror.com
HellBentForHorror.com

Obviously, I am looking into finding a new therapist (the tab is opened on the browser right now), but that comes with more stress than just worrying about the Christian nature of the only recommendation I received that is definitely covered by my insurance. The stress stems from the $600 I am expected to pay for lab work. Hopefully my primary will be understanding when it comes to me cancelling the next set.

I am still determined to keep up the podcast, but the past week was tough. Unless guests want to stay up late, Sundays are the only day that I am certain can be made for podcasting. With that said, if you have a movie or topic that you want to chat about, send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/19351473385592516/


Otherwise with my life, I am rolling along as well as I can. Next week's episode is in the can (The Truman Show with ThePoeticCritic). There is hope of growing closer to the teammate my age when I help moving him and his family into their new house. And I am still creative enough to manage a low energy episode of the show to hold my anxiety over.

The best thing about this episode is that I was able to pick out nothing but winners. If there was a downside to the episode, it was wanting to binge a lot of Studio Ghibli afterwards. "Mary and the Witch's Flower" was a lot of fun and pulls on some heart strings, but I just need a little more whimsy.

Maybe that is a reason that I want an excuse to be a bi-weekly podcast. I need at least a week a month to watch long ass movies. After my latest podcast with the big sister, it makes me want to try and embrace comic book movies again. Would I prefer the MCU take a decade off? Yes. But I do not want possibly good movies dragged through the mud because some cinema snobs demand something different.

The big sister putting me through half a dozen "Honest Trailers" did not help her stance. I know what these movies are, and I felt the trailers embraced them.


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...