Tuesday, May 10, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast - Turning Red...Red Dwarf

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 67: Turning Red...Red Dwarf (Cat People Comedy and Canadian Pandas).

Eva tolerate Holopanda

Turning Red…Red Dwarf

May 10, 2022

Cats and pandas come to the rescue this week on NinetyForChill.com. "Turning Red" was released to physical media this week, so Cool Movies Darth found that we have a Pixar movie with the ideal runtime. That amused him for one night, but the greatest amusement may have been discovering "Red Dwarf XIII" was a TV movie. Enjoy this homage to the commonwealth and forgive his fandom that he may mistake for cultural knowledge.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

I like to thank those who responded to my most recent call for podcast guests. We should have an exciting episode (or experiment) for May 31, but getting four blokes together after a failed episode with only one person in another time zone (We are not calling the Jessica Kwazz "Spaceballs" episode as a failure.), asking them to rush for the immediate week is not fair. Fortunately, the planned gimmick for the second season of NinetyForChill was to switch between solo episodes and guest episodes. At least that is how I am dealing with my social ineptitude.

The only issue this week was, I did not have any more half hour episodes to recycle for YouTube's sake. It does not feel right to only offer 15 minutes of content two years into the podcast. Taking a hit seemed like the only option. And then the serendipity came to save the show.


When delivering a PS5 to my little brother, he told me about his subscription to BritBox to catch up on all the British comedy that Mom should not have let a nine and three year old engage in. "Red Dwarf XIII" was on my mind, so I decided I was going to binge the series to make something of my weekend. Little did I know, "Red Dwarf: The Promise Land" was a TV movie. Thus, we have two Red-themed features to discuss.

For a "Red Dwarf" fan, this film was awesome. It may have left me watching with red-tinted lenses, but if your into subversive and dry humor, you will love this movie as well. This is what you would want to see in a sequel to either of "Monty Python's" finest films ("Holy Grail" and "Life of Brian"). The formula is like the TV show, but is brilliantly paced and only hindered by the laugh track.

Who would not want to watch a movie about well-meaning monks/drunks being chased by cats who have evolved into humans while maintaining all the meme-worthy traits? A cleaning robot and an obnoxious hologram who is dependent on being attached to his charger are essentially responsible for ensuring that a drunk/god successfully carries on humanity is comic gold. If you do not have time to watch 12 seasons to understand this series, this film will give you a vibe that will inspire you to watch the rest (or at least seasons 3-8 and 10-12).


Of course, the rose-colored inspiration for this double feature was Pixar's "Turning Red". The DVD box says the runtime for this feature was 1 hour 40 minutes, but they were rounding up. We operate on the Kessel Run math hear at NinetyForChill. With that said, please revisit "Solo: A Star Wars Story". LucasFilm needs our support to get the franchise back on the big screen sooner rather than later.

I have heard nothing but good things from my friends who have seen this film, but the controversy surrounding it made this something I had to watch. Why does it ignore 9/11? How can any white male relate to this cartoon? Will Disney ever release Pixar films to the theaters? Is Disney hiding Pixar movies on their streaming service to ensure their originals get the best animated feature Oscar?

With how great this film was, the latter may have been confirmed. I have yet to see what ThePoeticCritic rated this feature to determine if this is a contradiction.

As for being unrelatable, that must be the opinion of a spoiled eighties kid, someone whose parents funded him until he succeeded as a hack critic. This probably means his mom is a Karen like the woman who decided that I must lose my job despite she found a better one (Fuck Marine Bank for indulging in her intentions.). This explains why someone else would ask Canadian's to "Never Forget".

If there is a problem with "Turning Red", it is that I do not know when you can show it to a child. Why would any parent want their kids to think they do not need to be their perfect child? It is a lesson they need to learn before high school, which is why I relate to this story. Here is another reason to vote blue because the Fox News is going to get the Christian nuts who get to make the rules declare this as an enemy to (white) families.

Any movie that tells you to fuck conformity is a winner to me. Now I need to go through my Letterboxd to determine if I am a hypocrite. Having no guest lined up this week, I suppose I have the time. With that said...

Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...