Tuesday, October 12, 2021

NinetyForChill -The #Podcast: SkimbleSHANKS presents The Nightmare Before Christmas and Ally

Films Researched for this Podcast: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and Uncaged (2016)

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 39: SkimbleSHANKS presents The Nightmare Before Christmas and Ally.

Skimble as festive as he can be


Ally from Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy comes back to NinetyForChill to determine if Cool Movie Darth's vibe of "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" being overrated has any validity. Fans of this feature seem to buy anything Disney puts on Freeform. CM Darth must know. Is Henry Selick's film the reason for spayed and neutered millennial monsters?
 

 
Ally sensed some desperation in my quest to line up a guest (We were a couple for the better part of four years, so its good that she is catching on to that...nearly two years removed), but she is not a big horror fan. After what Disney has done to the holiday in the name of profit, I offered her a chance to provide something spooky. Since I have purchased her two Sally Funko Pops!, little are twisting was needed for her to jump at the chance to talk about the Chris Sarandon and Katherine O'Hara romance flick.

Actually, Ally may have jumped at this title because she just wanted to add it to her collection. Here is to hoping she purchased the Blu-ray. It was not a part of the break up, but her settling on standard definition drove me nuts.

"The Nightmare Before Christmas" has been a feature that I have been meaning to rewatch for at least 10 years. I think the commercialization of the feature has left a bad taste in my mouth. Hot Topic was my place to find pleather and faux barbwire jewelry. Making space for cheap Sally dresses felt like a slap in the face.

It might not be those who were also in junior high that made me question this feature's credibility. I think it was the younger millenials and members of generation Z. Generation X parents thought this flick would be better for them than your atypical Disney fair, and just put it on to distract them. But after "Hocus Pocus", I ponder how they missed the signs that our favorite monsters would have their fangs removed? With that said, if you are up for a "Monster Squad" podcast, send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com

What Ally and my conversation comes down to is, whose does the feature belong to? Henry Sellick would go on to direct well-regarded stop motion features like "Coraline". Danny Elfman's score and vocal performance steals the show. O'Hara's sedated performance has to be appreciated. Ally might go to bat for Ken Page as Oogie Boogie.

To make this episode totally about Ally, we return to her Trash Feature Reviews with "Uncaged". This was 2016's attempt to update "An American Werewolf in London" with "Superbad". Obviously Rogen and Goldberg did not pen this low budget flick, so it is not worth a rewatch, but the effects and premise can make it a 1.75-movie. On Letterboxd, I will round it up to a two.



My Twitter account is @catbusruss. This is where I want your hate to be directed if you disapprove. Otherwise, positive feedback would be best displayed as subscriptions to my podcast and five-star reviews. Lets work that algorithm.

As for this month, I am looking for people who want to chat about horror movies for October. If you think you have a film or franchise that you are an expert on. Send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. Most franchises have at least on feature that will qualify for NinetyForChill. The runtime just needs to be between 74 and 99 minutes. We have four episodes to fill.
 
I have been asking for weeks for assistance in composing an episode dedicated to vampire features like "The Lost Boys" trilogy, "Near Dark", and the "Underworld" movies. Here is to hoping that this bunch of critiques will stir up some inspiration in my audience to step up and hold off on the garlic. If this is a topic you up for discussing, feel free to send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All I need is a half hour on Zoom to get this done.


I hope I am impressing or at the very least amusing you with this podcast and I am open to any and all criticism. My biggest want is more guests and more suggestions on what to chat about (@catbusrussrussthebus07@gmail.com@coolmoviesdarth). If we can get 3 hours out of "Little Nicky", the possibilities are endless. Thanks for visiting.

 
After WrestleMania Backlash, I will tell you that we need to take zombie pro wrestling back. My suggestion is that we finally get my low-budget zombie movie, "Main Event of the Dead" off the ground. The script lacks a lumberjack match, so you know it has got to be better than the "Army of the Dead" advertisement. Ask for a treatment or give me suggestions on how to get it to a crowd-sourcing stage with an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.
 
Uncaged 2016 - IMDb
Uncaged 2016 - IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...