Tuesday, October 5, 2021

NinetyForChill: - SkimbleSHANKS presents StageFright 1987

 Films Researched for this Podcast: StageFright (StageFright: Aquarius) (1987), The Lost Boys (1987), Heatseeker (1995), Repo: The Genetic Opera (2008), and The Deep Ones (2020)

Skimble to chill to kill

NinetyForChill.com: The Podcast

Episode 38: SkimbleSHANKS presents StageFright 1987. (A Good Year for Horror Saxophones).


Van Damme/Van Dam expert, Gregory Carl, comes back to the pod in a musical mood. Cool Movies Darth decides to introduce him to a film that could be the perfect partner feature with "The Lost Boys". This film is from an Argento and Fulci apprentice, Michael Soavi's "StageFright: Aquarius".
 

 
Gregory originally wanted to discuss Darren Lynn Bousman's "Repo: The Genetic Opera", but I have been in talks with a previous guest about doing that feature for a while. I still asked for some brief thoughts about that horror musical before we dive into the film that I suggested. "StageFright" is not a musical, but I doubt you can truly have a slasher musical. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" did not do much stalking.

But for a slasher film, I think the premise makes more sense than most. Yes, the teenagers needed to escape the Sawyer family's compound in Texas, but at least they had a lot of exits to escape through. In "StageFright", both doors are locked and the building is sound proof. No one can hear you scream. This kind of gives the feature a bit of gothic horror feel like "Alien".

With that said, this feature makes me wish that Dario Argento would have directed some space horror. It would look beautiful, but the intensity of the gore would make it too intense for regular audiences. If people were running for the bathroom during Ridley Scott's classic, they would be stampeded if Argento had that script.

This just leaves me with telling you about the things from this flick that would have improved "The Lost Boys". They both share a love for saxophone scenes, so why not industrial drills and chainsaws?
 
We had a fun conversation, but it did have a lot of technical and ancillary difficulties. My side of the audio from this Zoom is fine because Skimble was content and Eva is stoic. Gregory has a few kids and not a lot of privacy.
 
In the end, his son helps save the day when Zoom was having connection issues. I was rather impressed by the kid's knowledge for his age. The kid cannot be much older than 10, and he made my knowledge at 14 seem insignificant. And I was the nerdy kid.

Unfortunately, we ended up needing to do this pod in two meetings when Zoom did kick him out. This resulted in me getting to finish the conversation, but I failed to have Zoom record the second half. Thus, I do my damnedest to establish a narrative with my side of the conversation. On the flip side, you should be sold on this movie before we get that far in our chat.



With that said, my Twitter account is @catbusruss. This is where I want your hate to be directed if you disapprove. Otherwise, positive feedback would be best displayed as subscriptions to my podcast and five-star reviews. Lets work that algorithm.

As for this month, I am looking for people who want to chat about horror movies for October. If you think you have a film or franchise that you are an expert on. Send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. Most franchises have at least on feature that will qualify for NinetyForChill. The runtime just needs to be between 74 and 99 minutes. We have four episodes to fill.
 
I have been asking for weeks for assistance in composing an episode dedicated to vampire features like "The Lost Boys" trilogy, "Near Dark", and the "Underworld" movies. Here is to hoping that this bunch of critiques will stir up some inspiration in my audience to step up and hold off on the garlic. If this is a topic you up for discussing, feel free to send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All I need is a half hour on Zoom to get this done.

I hope I am impressing or at the very least amusing you with this podcast and I am open to any and all criticism. My biggest want is more guests and more suggestions on what to chat about (@catbusrussrussthebus07@gmail.com@coolmoviesdarth). If we can get 3 hours out of "Little Nicky", the possibilities are endless. Thanks for visiting.

 
After WrestleMania Backlash, I will tell you that we need to take zombie pro wrestling back. My suggestion is that we finally get my low-budget zombie movie, "Main Event of the Dead" off the ground. The script lacks a lumberjack match, so you know it has got to be better than the "Army of the Dead" advertisement. Ask for a treatment or give me suggestions on how to get it to a crowd-sourcing stage with an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.
 
Cinema of the World
Cinema of the World



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Coraline" in 12 Parsecs & Super Mario Bros. 93

Ninety For Chill: The #Podcast with @CatBusRuss Episode 159: "Coraline" in 12 Parsecs with HappyBeebsMeowMeow It is never too late...