Tuesday, May 17, 2022

NinetyForChill: The Podcast - Earth Girls Are Easy: ThePoeticCritic Responds

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 68: Earth Girls Are Easy: ThePoeticCritic Responds (If it's Carrey, Goldblum, or Davis, the lasses I asked said: Yes!).

A chilled Skimble approves


Earth Girls Are Easy: ThePoeticCritic Responds

May 17, 2022

Jeff Goldblum + Geena Davis + Jim Carrey = A great way to beat the monotony of shallow, capitalistic existence. CoolMoviesDarth was his standard dower self going into the weekend while ThePoeticCritic was sour about the lack of cool guests going into the Chicago Con season. Needing summer to start now, CM Darth turned to an 80's camp classic he just never got around to, "Earth Girls Are Easy". TPC just happens to offer some of the best insights into this Julie Brown vanity project.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

I kind of pulled this interview out of my ass. My big sister stated she was down in a Twitter post and was hopeful for fun clips be suggested to her. John Oliver's web exclusive about "Air Bud" and a Fred Ward joke did not seem like it would be enough to cheer her up, so I chatted with her on Facebook Messenger. That is where I suggested the only Jeff Goldblum musical that I was aware of, and for someone who is a little reluctant to chat, she jumped at.

It was not an easy viewing. My crappy modem from Xfinity gave out minutes in as I was streaming it. After a reset, Pluto TV made me regret my sound board investment. Damn those commercials are loud (and not varied enough). I suppose it was appropriate for plenty of commercials for "Love Match Atlanta" to be placed in a romantic comedy.


After the film and finding out that Great Value's Crystal Light Lemonade is not a vodka mixer, the podcast started. We do spend about 20 minutes catching up (We are both on six-day work week schedules, so running into each other in person is tough.). This lead to me using the "Spinal Tap 2" announcement as a transition to the film. Gods bless Michael McKean, especially before he started getting type casted.

It was a lot of fun just to chat about the late eighties and early nineties, so I do not think we give a great plot synopsis until the end of the show. Both ThePoeticCritic and I were exposed to these performers that would become legends at the same time. Our knowledge of this film's existence came via the expansion of cable TV, primarily FX and Comedy Central. The prior aired "In Living Color" all the time while the latter showed this film every weekend.

Let us not forget the effect Flix had on entertainment existence. This is where we got to see movies, like director Julien Temple's "Absolute Beginners". Musicals from the eighties means that aside from my lame jokes or trashing the overly sensitive members of woke Twitter (Woke Twitter: Good. Asking Twitter Users to be Considerate: Bad.), ThePoeticCritic essentially got the podcast theme she had asked me to consider numerous times. We nearly chat for two hours, so I think she had a lot of fun. Hopefully I was able to clean up the audio enough that it translates.


If the interview audio is too loud, I do open the podcast with a throwback to last week's episode "Turning Red...Dwarf". I finally watched "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" to see if "Turning Red" is the best Western animated feature since "Coco". It was a fun experience, but perhaps being a fan of comic books made this a tougher watch for me.

"Spider-Verse" just throws so much at you in every frame, I wanted to stop the film to focus on each frame like I can with a comic book. It has a strong narrative and is pretty moving, but it is not Pixar. Now I need to revisit "Isle of Dogs" and finally watch "Incredible 2" to see if Oscar got it right. This was not stated on the air, so I will address this in my own time.

Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...