Wednesday, April 26, 2023

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast with @CatBusRuss: "Zombieland (2009)" with Nic from "In Love, with Movies"

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast...with @CatBusRuss

Episode 117: "Zombieland (2009)" with Nic from "In Love, with Movies

Eva waiting for a pint and this to blow over

”Zombieland (2009)” with Nic from ”In Love, with Movies”

2 days ago

This week's episode is proof that you can actually meet genuine people at comic cons. One half of "In Love, with Movies" hosts, Nic, comes on the show to chat about Ruben Fleischer's only undisputedly good feature "Zombieland". CatBusRuss and his guest did not take a lot of notes suggesting that it maybe one of the best paced comedies of the current century. Watching the feature was more than a pleasant palate cleanser after visiting "FeaDotCom (.com)" for Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy's "Trash Feature Revue".

The two end up realizing the kind of comfort cinema sci-fi comedies can be. It is only appropriate that it pulls so much from "Ghostbusters" with very little shame. Zombieland's characters may not evolve, but like the three NYU professors who got into paranormal investigation, they do not have to. If they did, the audience might leave feeling betrayed (which may explain the lack of success of "Gangster Squad" and what CatBus feels is an underappreciated sequel "Double Tap"). If the premise is enough, why mess around with it too much? Of course this film got a crappy television show when Amazon said hold my beer.

Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CatBusRuss) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective.

I am doing the best I can with the free time that I can find. Currently in my peripheral is "Deadpool" and my hopes that I can manage to call it a sub 100-minute movie. Credits can be so fucking long. Of course there is the "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" tribute after the story concludes, but my potential guest and I have determined that just calling that a tease is appropriate to the character and the actor.

There is not much to complain about in the past two days since my last blog post. On top of fitting in a blog post and new (this) podcast, I had to make some head space to worry about my beverage retailer job after my second write up that may have cost the company cash. The review was quick and painless aside from getting my manager to reset my login credentials. If I lose this job, I know its my fault. At this point, it is enough fun that I would hate to disappoint myself.

I am still determined to keep up the podcast, but the past week was tough. Unless guests want to stay up late, Sundays are the only day that I am certain can be made for podcasting. With that said, if you have a movie or topic that you want to chat about, send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.

Since I am rewatching "Deadpool", a film that clocks in at 1:48, a potential guest had asked if we could do it. Well, he suggested it after our first in person meeting (at the booze palace). We plan to record this weekend (Kessel Run rules), but I better stick to the format when it comes to having a guest every other week. As for my binge or theme for a solo effort, nothing is set right now.

I have done the last three podcasts that featured guests sober, so perhaps it is time to just accept that is how I should approach the next one. But there has yet to be an excuse to open up my 103-proof Redemption Pre-Prohibition Bourbon. Trivia (and goth night) is tomorrow, so being sharp(ish) is a necessity. In other words, how am I to see a new release at the cinema to associate with a relevant DVD at home if I am shit faced?

The 9/10 o'clock show I suppose. Maybe I should actually user Uber for the first time. As for opening the bottle, maybe it would have helped me get more out of "The Ring" meets "Hackers" in the early noughties horror flick, FearDotCom (.com).


As for the episode this blog is about, I had a lot of fun squeezing it in between my two retail shifts. Nic and I had little to complain about "Zombieland". We did more to breakdown the performers than we did to breakdown their near perfect characters. Our feelings are divided when it comes to the need for "Double Tap", but we do not really go into that. Nor do we address the mystery that was the TV series.

"Zombieland" is cinematic chili. None of the ingredients are necessarily awesome (aside for Woody Harrelson and Abigail Breslin...at least for 2009). Ruben Fleischer has yet to offer anything close to the success this feature is (fuck "Venom's" gross). Jesse Eisenberg was a year from "The Social Network". Emma Stone was just the everyday girl amusing nerds instead of Ryan Gosling. It really comes down to the script I suppose. And Sony's interference nearly messed that up.

It is a weird chemistry that created this feature. I think Nic would agree with that statement. If anyone knows anything about movies and chemistry, it would be Nic and his wife Dani.

I am still catching up on "In Love, with Movies", but the stories they tell with their guests about how people get together is a lot of fun. Seeing how the couples survive suggested movies makes it all worthwhile and definitely worth a listen. "Clueless" was a lot of fun. Gods know I am pumped for "Labyrinth".

I just need to get myself shipped. The plan is to have me as a guest in May or June to talk about "Trainspotting". Any Scottish-heroin comedy fans out there who want me to help me fake it through the first half of their podcast. Hell, let's break up mid show. That will boost the numbers for everyone.


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...