Monday, June 20, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast - Ally Presents: Puppets, Emo Vampires, and Christian Metaphors

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 73: Ally Presents: Puppets, Emo Vampires, and Christian Metaphors (Either scary by intent or scary by quality).

Eva knows these movies are worth associating her visage with.


Ally Presents: Puppets, Emo Vampires, and Christian Metaphors

June 21, 2022

NinetyForChill.com returns to Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy's Trash Feature Revue to provide you with opinions on DVDs whose values will not be affected by inflation. Cool Movies Darth takes us on a journey of traditional horror, no budget indies, and whatever Dark Castle Entertainment claims to be scary. This episode addresses the Full Moon Features' classic "Puppet Master", a vampire-fad character study in "Quench", the too vulgar for PureFlix "The Reaping", and a low definition attempt to cross Faust with Palahniuk in "Shadow Hours".


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

I am still adjusting to the concept of a guest every other week. There are fears that the bloom has worn off this rose of a podcast. People have lives, so no time to dedicate one's self to creative endeavors. Perhaps there are folks who just want to add being on the show as a resume builder. At least I know people are getting something out of the podcast.

The blame for my issues adjusting to listening to solely my voice is YouTube. After inadvertently getting the Cool Movies Darth Channel verified, there is no pressure to get my shorter videos under the 15-minute ceiling. With wanting to provide close to a half hour of content at the very least per week, episodes have to be over 22 minutes (TV standards). Thus, I need to put more movies into the solo shows.

Because of the need for movies, I am running through the alphabet a lot faster than I did last year. Ally's Accessories Shop on Etsy Trash Feature Revue will be wrapped up next month at this rate. It was a stressful but rewarding exercise to determine how to come up with themed episodes in its stead. Still, there is disappointment that I cannot rally three guests a month.

Do I need to just go out and ask for a permanent co-host? That maybe easier than getting a girlfriend.


Pardon me for not introducing "Puppet Master" before I went through that head trip. The trailer above for "Quench" just fit the mood of that rant better. That film may just hit me in the right spots because of similarities in my life to the story. It is a flick about looking for a place to belong. I am just glad I was too affluent to get into the "Twilight" fad despite my Hot Topic Credit Card.

"Puppet Master" was a film I was excited to see because it is what trash features are suppose to be. The premise of sentient, vengeful puppets on a low budget just promises fun. Was it? It could have been better, but I am ready for "Puppet Master 2". We may end up with an episode dedicated to the franchise because Ally bought me a nine-movie pack (12 if you count the "Killjoy" movies).

So we have a movie that I wanted to see and a film that I was a fan of 12 years prior. This episode is a blast to the past because the letter R was represented by Dark Castle Entertainment's "The Reaping", a film that I did not exactly enjoy on my first date with the second most former girlfriend.


After enduring "Gothika", my fears of flashbacks to the worst times of my two years with Cindy Tanney (She stalked me online before, so she digs the name drop.) were put to the back burner. The Dark Castle logo just automatically left a bad taste in my mouth. It explained everything and I cannot say it helped to improve my opinion of another movie where Idris Elba cannot keep his accent in check. 

But, to Dark Castle's credit, I initially wanted this episode to focus on letters P-T. Desperate to find a T-flick, I resigned to "Thir13een Ghosts" and was pleasantly surprised. If you are interested, email me if you want to chat about this production company's library for 40 minutes. Send your email to russthebus07@gmail.com.


As I use my last Trash Feature Revue blog post as a template for this post, I see that "The Reaping" video gets to replace the spot for "Out of the Dark". It leaves me fearing that Stephen Rea is the scourge of 90-minute features. I guess this means we need to do a true "Underworld" episode so we can redeem him with the fourth film of that franchise. Again, the email is russthebus07@gmail.com.

Unfortunately, unlike that episode of "NinetyForChill: The #Podcast", the next movie I covered did not shake off the stench of the previous. If you are a Peter Weller fan, you will get something out of "Shadow Hours". Just remember, if there is debauchery going on the screen, skip to the next one. You might just get lucky with landing on one of his amoral monologues. It maybe better just to skip this movie instead. This one is so bad, if you complete it, you may want to further study how a film like that got made.

Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...