Tuesday, September 20, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast: Clerks: Existential Crises for All

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 86: Clerks: Existential Crises for All (It takes a village, as long as it is not is a flyover state.).

Do you think Skimble the Bastard Cat would be an ideal Bluntcat

Clerks: Existential Crises for All

September 20, 2022

Cool Movies Darth has been wanting to record a Kevin Smith themed podcast, but did not want to spoil “Clerks III” by inane conversation a week after its debut. Our host immediately recorded his review and crushed dreams after checking out this Fathom Event.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

As I have established, I like to produce solo episodes between each one that features guests. Last week just happened to be the same week that "Clerk III" finally debuted. My immediate proposal for the next episode was to bring on some friends for a Kevin Smith-themed episode, but to have a guest on might spoil the feature a week after it was released. The film still needed to be addressed, so it was ideal to just take this one on my own.

All there is to truly complain about with this film is that Smith has yet to push the bounds of his ability to direct. Like John Carpenter, he is concerned with protecting his narrative. If only Smith was a special effects hound, just depending of mise en scene would be fine. Lets hope that the "Tusk" sequel will be even more body horror heavy.

With that said, maybe body horror is what makes the best sub 100-minute movies. I did just buy David Cronenberg's NEW "Crimes of the Future". He has provided me with the best options the past two years. Will he three-peat, or are there not enough special effects to provide eight minutes of closing credits?

My only other wish is that we would have had actual actors this time around instead of everyone else being 30 years older. The story is essentially that Randall Graves is making the original "Clerks". I agree that it should be a shot-by-shot remake that he is producing, but to tell the stories of 24 year-olds with 52 year-olds is a bit distracting. At least Graves's vision means Veronica would not be judged as harshly for the number 37.


This assessment may just be jealousy on my behalf. I have been trying to get people to commit to "Main Event of the Dead" the past 11 years. Why would not my hometown of Morton, Illinois back a creative mind? Where were all the "friends" I made from Next Generation Wrestling who will not get as big a break starring in a pro-wrestling zombie comedy?

Kevin Smith got his hometown to make his career. This is a love letter to Leonardo, New Jersey. My love letter to Morton is my review for the anime "Burn-Up W".

Deviant Art - DenisM79 Denis Medri
Deviant Art - DenisM79 Denis Medri

Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...