Monday, April 26, 2021

NinetyForChill.com - The Podcast - Episode 15: When in Doubt, Take It To the Outer Space (Opera)

Films Researched for this Episode: The Ice Pirates (1984), The Heist (1989), and Space Truckers (1996)

Skimble is...a Sith Rocker



NinetyForChill.com: The Podcast

Episode 15: When in Doubt, Take It To the Outer Space (Opera) (Just Press Play)


Read more: https://html.com/media/#ixzz6jIeBsAn5

After communicating with a girl for two weeks via online dating apps only to come out to a bar to meet her on a whim and then be ghosted as if 20 minutes in person showed that I am not meant for three dimensions, it is great to know I have family. I made it to the bar safely. There is no way that I reeked of the Midnight Moon Strawberry Moonshine that I was consuming as I recorded this week's podcast.

Was it that I was not impressed by her Chase "Darth Vader" debit card she paid for her meal with? I work in retail. There have been hundreds of those cards that I have seen. It is perplexing to develop a connection online only to not hear anything from her because of a per chance meeting did not go fantastic. Girls who have shot me down are more considerate.

This is just an indicator that I need my friends to step on and go beyond expressing interest in recording podcasts and actually commit to it. If free evenings were not a commodity, then I would not have to deal with bar meetings and actually get to know a person on a date. Consider my love life folks like I am considering your vacations.

With that said, the idea of a Danny Elfman and Tim Burton themed episode has been expressed on the Internet. I will not mention who I worked the concept out with, but I know others who are tempted to volunteer for it. Email me at russthebus07@gmail.com to find out more.

One of those who expressed interest was this week's guest, ThePoeticCritic. Like all of us sophisticated cinephiles, she dug all of their early collaborations from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" to "Batman (and perhaps "Returns")". The closest thing to this concept that we really discuss in this episode is how I think "Mars Attacks" being released so soon after "Independence Day" perhaps prevented an early revival of the Space Opera that Stuart Gordon's "Space Truckers" could not jump on its own.

Letterboxd's The Poetic Critic and I examine the who/what/why/how the late 70's and early 80's fell in love with the concept of Jack Sparrow in space. Okay, the answer is "Star Wars" but lets give Stanley Kubrick some credit for "2001: A Space Odyssey" and more importantly "Silent Running" for setting the stage.

The biggest question we address is how did anyone think that creating galaxies could be done in 90 minutes. How much raping and pillaging can the "Ice Pirates" commit? Do all of Roger Corman's knock off count as a cinematic universe? How many space TV shows did the 70's have to offer? Should this genre have disappeared?

TPC and I share some debate on what constitutes a Space Opera and some of the features. She also points you in the direction of the best knock offs...or at least the most interesting ones that the world has to offer. 

As a bonus, I return to the "Ally's Accessories Shop of Etsy" trash features and look at the time between "Remington Steele" and "007 Goldeneye" by viewing the Pierce Brosnan starring feature, "The Heist" from 1989. It is good to see him playing Irish, but he might not be meant for 90 minutes (see "Survivor").


https://i.pinimg.com/564x/70/b3/9b/70b39b41e36d73808fd70740de2dee6d.jpg


10 Best Gonzo Science Fiction Movies in the Whole - Gizmodo

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...