Tuesday, October 19, 2021

NinetyForChill -The #Podcast: SkimbleSHANKS presents Wise Draculas and Dim Harkers

Films Researched for this Podcast: Dracula a.k.a Horror of Dracula (1958), Dracula (1979), and Bit (2020)

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 40: SkimbleSHANKS presents Wise Draculas and Dim Harkers.

Dapper Skimble

Fresh off of an endorsement from "The ID10T Podcast", Cool Movies Darth (yours truly) and ThePoeticCritic continue the spooky season with a couple of "Dracula" movies. We compare, contrast, and celebrate Christopher Lee from "Dracula" 1958 and Frank Langella from "Dracula" 1979. It is Hammer Films vs Universal Studios and a John Williams score. Which is better?
 

 
This pairing made for an interesting drunken double feature. It also taught me how to arrange a double feature. You want to end on a positive note, so follow the Tomatometer. In this case, "Horror of Dracula" should have closed out my viewings for the night.

So I came into this podcast with the impression that Christopher Lee was the end all and be all of vampiric kings. The director of "Short Circuit" and "WarGames" did not offer Langella the opportunity to make a run at the crown. Who had the most inept Jonathan Harker is the only competition between the two. Sounds like Keanu Reeves was perfectly cast for Coppola's take on the tale.
 
Aside from finally adding some sexuality to English language bloodsuckers, 1979's take on Bram Stoker does not capture the charm of "Horror of Dracula". Hit and miss special effects do not help.
 
Do not even get me started on the 1992 revisions of it. I will no longer (not that I have as a member of the Church of Lucas) complain about George Lucas's special editions.

I would say the two of us were pretty much on the same page when it came to these feature. So this was a pretty easy rundown of the questions that I found to be important. It may have been so copacetic because we did not have to pull from the current cinema scene to make conversation. You best appreciate that we did not go all Team Scorsese on you.

But, if you feel that we spend too much time in the past, I treat you to a brisk review about 2020's "Bit", a vampire comedy that earned a lot of accolades at queer film festivals. The story is a lot like "Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles" but throws in a feminist take of the mythology and I cannot help but love the nihilism that comes with bloodsuckers.



My Twitter account is @catbusruss. This is where I want your hate to be directed if you disapprove. Otherwise, positive feedback would be best displayed as subscriptions to my podcast and five-star reviews. Lets work that algorithm.

As for this month, I am looking for people who want to chat about horror movies for October. If you think you have a film or franchise that you are an expert on. Send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. Most franchises have at least on feature that will qualify for NinetyForChill. The runtime just needs to be between 74 and 99 minutes. We have four episodes to fill.
 
I have been asking for weeks for assistance in composing an episode dedicated to vampire features like "The Lost Boys" trilogy, "Near Dark", and the "Underworld" movies. Here is to hoping that this bunch of critiques will stir up some inspiration in my audience to step up and hold off on the garlic. If this is a topic you up for discussing, feel free to send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All I need is a half hour on Zoom to get this done.


I hope I am impressing or at the very least amusing you with this podcast and I am open to any and all criticism. My biggest want is more guests and more suggestions on what to chat about (@catbusrussrussthebus07@gmail.com@coolmoviesdarth). If we can get 3 hours out of "Little Nicky", the possibilities are endless. Thanks for visiting.

 
After WrestleMania Backlash, I will tell you that we need to take zombie pro wrestling back. My suggestion is that we finally get my low-budget zombie movie, "Main Event of the Dead" off the ground. The script lacks a lumberjack match, so you know it has got to be better than the "Army of the Dead" advertisement. Ask for a treatment or give me suggestions on how to get it to a crowd-sourcing stage with an email to russthebus07@gmail.com.
 
Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...