Tuesday, June 14, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast - The Rubberface Jim Carrey vs. ThePoeticCritic

NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 72: The Rubberface Jim Carrey vs. ThePoeticCritic (A thorough tribute to the last megastar).

Dr. Eva: And Yes, she's smarter than you

ThePoeticCritic versus The Rubber Face: Jim Carrey

June 14, 2022

ThePoeticCritic returns to the podcast to give a thorough analysis of the sub 100-minute filmography of Jim Carrey. Cool Movie Darth considers the actor/comedian to be the last superstar of cinema. This episode tries to address the impact of TPC's second favorite North American actor and how movies have/will change without a name that draws people to the big screen.



Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

Now, I am in a tough spot. When it comes to American actors, ThePoeticCritic holds few higher than Jeff Goldblum and Jim Carrey. Thus, if I do not have a guest when I need one (every other week), I cannot count on calling up my big sister to fill in on a whim. It is even more important to depend on guests. This leaves me tempted to bring in my recorder to my next therapy section and see what comes from that.

To avoid that awkwardness, feel free to email russthebus07@gmail.com with a movie, theme, director, or actor. As long as you can focus on sub 100-minute narratives, we can create some podcast gold. If the 74-99 minute parameters seem to narrow, just offer me your favorite movie, and I will come up with a way to talk about it. "Spaceballs" is code for "Star Wars". "Caddyshack" leads to "Ghostbusters", and of course, bust'n makes me feel good.

This is an episode where the knowledge of my guest shines through. ThePoeticCritic was set on covering all possible Carrey movies that qualify for NinetyForChill.com. I do not know if I was remotely ready for that, and unfortunately, reality can limit one's time to play catch up.

This ended up being a costly podcast. To see one of the most important features to my big sister, "The Cable Guy", I once again had to subscribe to Starz. That channel should be my background noise, but YouTube is still my addiction. Of course, Starz will not be promoting fascist Illinoisan politicians like Rodney Davis or Richard Irvin, so the network may deserve more respect than I give them. Then again, where's "American Gods: Season 4"?

"The Cable Guy" really makes me want to revisit "Zoolander". You see that Ben Stiller has an excellent eye as a director never mind his comedic wisdom. My only complaint is that I would have chosen a better soundtrack. If the movie is not about music in the late 1990s or early 2000s, you got to be more selective about what tunes are played. Just because there is shooting in basketball does not mean Filter's "Hey Man Nice Shot" is appropriate.


The biggest slip up with this podcast is that I failed to watch "The Truman Show" stem to stern. We set up the podcast on Thursday and we recorded on Saturday. My cats have been great about letting me sleep in, so I was off Friday, but did not get much time to binge features. I ended up making a trip to Disc Replay in Champaign to help with my research, but in the end, I only had time for "The Number 23". 45 minutes into that flick, the fun I was having was figuring out weirder 23 observations.

45 minutes -> 45 was Michael Jordan's baseball number -> Jordan's best known for number 23.

45 minutes -> 4 + 5 = 9 -> The square (2) root of 9 is 3.


Apart from "The Number 23" taking "Truman's" place in the binge, the last feature that I researched was "Sonic the Hedgehog". My big sister and I both agree that this is essentially Carrey coming around full circle in his career. We do discuss how Carrey has a knack for acting in family faire like "Sonic", "A Series of Unfortunate Events", "Mr. Popper's Penguins" and even "Liar Liar" to a lesser extent. ThePoeticCritic's main point though is how can the Academy Awards keep shunning him.

I did my best to make her understand the logic for the two (possibly three) snubs. More importantly, I tried to comfort her by letting her know that no actor since Bill Murray or Robin Williams have reached his height's as a performer. Johnny Depp and Will Smith can jog on.

In the end, this discussion left me feeling like she was as perplexed about her feeling towards Carrey's under appreciation as the lead in "Class of 1999: Part 2 - The Substitute". She has her anger, but is it going to do her any good? We do bring up his conditional retirement, and agree he is stepping aside at a good time. But, deep down, we do not want to see him decommissioned like Pam Grier or Sasha Mitchell from the "Class of 1999" franchised. Pardon those spoilers.


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...