Monday, August 1, 2022

NinetyForChill: The #Podcast - You Listen. "They Live"...with Gregory Carl

 NinetyForChill.com: The #Podcast

Episode 79: You Listen. "They Live"...with Gregory Carl (We came here to chew bubble gum and podcast. Thankfully, we were all out of bubble gum.).

Did animals not notice how fleshy and flavorful the aliens looked?

You Listen. ”They Live” with Gregory Carl

August 2, 2022

It only felt fitting to spend SummerSlam Weekend covering a movie starring the greatest heel in professional wrestling history, Roddy Piper. Gregory Carl from "The Mud Show" returns to "NinetyForChill: The #Podcast" to provide all the praise to perhaps the best feature starring a wrestler, "John Carpenter's They Live". This is a film so awesome that Cool Movies Darth suggests that it may have encouraged WWE to go into the movie business and resulted in CM Darth deciding to buy it a third time for all the possible special features that only Shout/Scream Factory can offer.


Allow me to get out of third-person. Happy Prof. Shurtleff of Illinois Central College? I (CM Darth) will try not to make so much light of violent death in this summation. This is my declaration of changing perspective. 

It seems that I will never get the scheduling for my podcast figured out. Because Gregory and I nearly chat about the movie for two hours (We were definitely bullshitting for more than that.), I felt it maybe wise to split the show into two parts. But C2E2 is this weekend, and of course I want to podcast about that convention.

Perhaps putting these episodes two weeks a part is a good idea. In other words, the numbers for my second part of "The Producers" were not what I hoped. If we listened to the first part of the recording, what is really going to change in the second? Well, I cannot promise me exposing all the sultry details of figuring out sex in "They Live" part two, but that is what you got last week.

Gregory and I are two retail employees who love pro-wrestling. This means we have a lot more in common with each other. Hence, these episodes should be more focused on the subject matter.


In part one, we pretty much stick to the film and pro-wrestling chatter. Not to say I did not try to make this more political. When I confirmed that this recording was going to go forward, Michael Dubois was contacted to see if he could jump in. Too bad we were already a half hour in when he saw the DM.

"They Live" is an essential sub 100-minute movie. It is fast-paced with a message, and just provides you with the silly violence that you want from any eighties action movie. Gregory points out that it almost follows all the same notes that only Arnold Schwarzenegger films like "Commando" and "The Terminator" avoid. Our hero, the rowdy one's Nada, just falls into the undeclared war between humans and aliens like John McClain happens to always be in the wrong place at the right time. But if a formula works, why change it?

My observations are perhaps a little more whimsical. Because Roddy Piper left Vince McMahon high and dry after WrestleMania III, did Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan write "No Holds Barred" to spite the kilt-cladded anti-hero? Piper was who Carpenter wanted for the role, but could Kurt Russell have pulled it off? Would Agent J and Agent K be working with or against the Reagan-loving aliens?

Hopefully, my purchase of the Scream Factory 4K Collector's Edition of this film will provide the answers. With that recent purchase from my retail gig, I do know this. We need you to spread this podcast around. Four curious clerks and managers just assumed this is a movie that is "So bad it is good". If only "Lifeforce" was not so long, I could do an episode to demonstrate the difference.


Follow me on Twitter @catbusruss. If you want to be on the show, contact me on Twitter or send an email to russthebus07@gmail.com. All we need is a theme, movie, director, or actor and a focus on sub 100-minute material. As long as the credits start before the 1:39:59 mark on the runtime bar, the movie qualifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are 138: "9 Dead"...We Wish

It is good to know that there are cerebral films being made that require nil in terms of special effects, gore, or action. That statement...